10 Tips for Fixing Heart Healthy Recipes
Do you remember Grandma's apple cobbler? Is spaghetti one of your favorite meals? You can still eat these things, but new versions of them, if you know how to swap ingredients. Here are 10 tips for fixing heart healthy recipes.
1. Replace eggs wih a cholesterol-free egg substitute. If you don't have a substitute on hand, you may use egg whites. According to the American Heart Association, two egg whites may be substituted for a whole egg in baking recipes.
2. Use fat free (skim) milk. This one change saves you calories and lowers your cholesterol level.
3. Choose non-fat cheese. For better melting Dr. Richard Collins, author of The Cooking Cardiologist, recommends soaking the cheese in milk for a few minutes before adding it to recipes.
4. Add fiber -- fresh fruit, dried fruit, vegetables, and grains -- whenever possible. Fiber is good for you and fills you up.
5. Cook with plant oils, such as olive, corn, and canola. If you're sauteing food, add a teaspoon of butter to the oil for flavor. Use as little oil as possible.
6. Swap unsweetened applesauce for shortening in baking recipes. But cooking is chemistry and, for best results, you may have to add a teaspoon of oil.
7. Hold the salt. Excess salt raises your blood pressure. Insstead of salt Mayo Clinic recommends citrus zest, fresh and dried herbs. To bring out the flavor of dried herbs rub them with your fingers before adding them to the recipe.
8. Cut back on sugar. Recipes made with half the sugar may taste just as sweet. Instead of sugar you may use Splenda, a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar, or half Splenda and half sugar.
9. Go lean on protein. Buy lean cuts of beef, skinless chicken, extra lean chops and fish. Some recipes, like spaghetti sauce with mushrooms, may not need protein at all.
10. Eat normal (not supersized) servings. According to the Univesity of Missouri Extension Service, large servings add up to 200-500 calories a day, which can add up to 20-50 extra pounds a year.
A few ingredient changes can have a huge impact on your heart health. Before you know it these swaps will be automatic. The heart is your body's main pump so take care of it.
Copyright 2005 by Harriet Hodgson.
Harriet Hodgson has been a nonfiction writer for 26 years and is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists. Her latest book, Smiling Through Your Tears: Anticipating Grief, written with Lois Krahn, MD, is availble on http://www.amazon.com. Go to http://www.harriethodgson.com for more information on her work. Hodgson is hard at work on her next book, Doctor in the House: An Inside Look at Medical Marriage.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Justin Gellatly's indulgent Christmas baking recipesThe GuardianI've always been massively into Christmas. When I was growing up, it was one big feast, with breakfast rolling into a huge lunch and then glorious leftovers on Boxing Day. Brandy butter was my favourite treat â€“ I remember eating it cold from the fridge ...
Yotam Ottolenghi's stuffing recipesThe GuardianIn today's chicken recipe, for example, I give you the best and greediest (and most controlled experiment) of all: enough stuffing to fit inside the cavity with some left over to bake alone. Generally, though, I prefer to cook my stuffing separately ...
The Best Inflammation-Fighting Recipes Of 2017mindbodygreen.com"This heavenly bowl of goodness really is a delicious way to nourish yourself when you are under the weather or just feeling depleted, exhausted, and overtired," Rose says. "Any recipe prepared with broth provides nourishment, but the ingredients in ...
New York Style Cheesecake Recipe
New York style cheesecake recipes are made with a combination of cream cheese and Italian cheese cakes made with ricotta cheese. In the early 1920's, this particular silky style of cream cheese was developed in the New York area.
School Lunches the Frugal Way!
It seems that school starts earlier every year. So it's time to start thinking about what to put in those school lunches every morning.
Easy Holiday Quick Bread Recipes
Quick breads are a quick, easy accompaniment to any holiday meal.For the best-tasting holiday quick breads, here are some helpful hints:- Only grease the bottoms of the loaf pans or the sides of the bread will pull away from the sides of the baking pan.
Rice Noodles with Tomatoes and Tuna -A Savoury Gluten-free Alternative to Pasta
Ok. I never thought that the day would come when I would sing the praises of a rice noodle.
Kid Party Food - Without the Stress!
Kid party food doesn't have to take hours to prepare or completely blow your budget. When it comes to kids and party food, variety and presentation are the answer.
Do You Know How Many Ways There Are To Eat A Cat Head Biscuit?
A time honored Southern tradition, the infamous "Cat Head" biscuit has become as much an icon of southern cooking as fried chicken. Just say the words "Cat Head Biscuits" almost anywhere in the South and you will instantly conjure up memories childhood and of mouthwateringly delicious meals.
Weight Loss Recipe: Turkey Tomato Wrap
Are you struggling to lose or maintain your weight? Then this recipe can help you along the journey. Long term weight loss isn't about hunger, misery and crash dieting.
Broccoli Rabe with Caramelized Onions and Garlic
Broccoli is a major EnergyRich ?, food and strength builder. It is also crammed high with fiber, folic acid, chlorophyll and many other micro-nutrients and phyto-chemicals.
Sot Suppe (Norwegian Sweet Soup)
My mother was the daughter of Norwegian immigrants who homesteaded our small Wisconsin dairy farm in the late 1800s. When my mother was a child, sweet soup was a traditional part of Christmas Eve, served cold with julekake, lefse, Christmas bread, or open-faced sandwiches.
Wild Watercress Soupt (Nasturtium officinale)
Wild Watercress soup is a delicious and nutritious recipe with the leaves available in spring and early summer. Watercress is rich in Vitamins A and C, iron, iodine and phosphorus.
Chicken Recipes That Everyone Enjoys!
Chicken recipes are a stable in many people's diets. Many of them are recipes we have made time and time again and others, are special recipes, maybe a favorite Christmas recipe or even a special fondue recipe using chicken.
Weight Loss Recipe: Fish In Orange Sauce
Lean protein is your diet is essential to weight loss and weight maintenance. Fish is an excellent source of lean protein as it is lower in fat that red meats.
All About Strawberry Shortcakes
Strawberry shortcake may be a 200 year-old American invention. With the advent of chemical leavenings in the early 1800's, biscuits became popular.
Do You Ever Search For Quick recipes?
In the quest for more time, searching for quick recipes online can be a big help. Cutting time out of cooking will free up time for other things.
Dining With The Romans
Numerius was a slave and ate one meal a day consisting of gruelmade with cracked wheat.While Spurius a plebian purchased his meals from street vendors,food shops and taverns located nearlarge public buildings and bathhouses.
Kalasan Fried Chicken (Indonesian Sweet Fried Chicken)
Ingredients:4 pcs Big Red Chili (omit the seeds)100 cc of coconut water1 pc Tomato (Cut into 4 pcs)2 pcs Shallots (1 pc cut into 2 pcs)3 pcs of Salam leaves or bay leaves as a substitute1 pc of Galangal (bruised)1 pc of Brown Sugar1 chicken (cut into smaller pieces)Method:Simmer chicken with coconut water, salt and all the ingredients until the water has almost evaporated and the chicken is tender.Drain and allow to cool.
Want to serve an elegant, yet easy, dessert? Try truffles. The chocolate kind, that is.
Italian Recipes - Top 3 Dinner Recipes That You Should Prepare Tonight!
If you are wondering what to prepare for dinner tonight, then you can always try these easy recipes. It's quick and affordable.
How to Make Your Own Low Fat Vanilla Ice Cream
Sometimes, when you have set yourself in the weight loss journey, you may miss your old friends: snacks.But life does not have to be miserable for you to lose weight.
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
You will need:1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mixFrostingSprinkles or other decorations of your choiceDirections:Prepare cake mix batter according to directions, or make any standard cake recipe batter (i.