Quick and Easy Holiday Decorating
You're tired. You've worked hard all week. Suddenly, the kids shout gleefully... "let's decorate!" ... in anticipation of the coming holiday. The "let's not" is miraculously not permitted to escape your lips. Instead you take a deep breath while you wonder about how this decorating could become an easier and more fun-filled activity.
Well, it can be!
- First, insist on family members pitching in to help and treat this like a family project. This should not just rest on your shoulders to accomplish and it will be much more fun if you all are making changes and creating memories together.
- Next, pick a day and time you'll all devote no more than one to two hours for a quick holiday makeover at your home (for a major decorating holiday schedule two or three longer blocks of time). It helps if you can set the decorating date about one to two weeks from now, if time still allows for that. This gives you time to gather items together for the project.
- Ask the kids to create one or two new arts and crafts decorations that are suitable to the holiday to have ready for the decorating day. Or, ask them to select ones from among any they may already have on hand, for instance, from school projects.
- Decide on 3 to 4 areas you will focus on decorating this year. Here are some choices: the front door, the front yard, the entry hallway, the kitchen table, the dining room table, the living room, the patio, the bathroom, the bedroom. There are other areas you could consider as well. But if you want quick and dirty, then focus in on only 3 to 4 of the areas for decorating this year. Anyway, you can select other areas next year for a change.
- Keep holiday decorations in separate bags, boxes or baskets in the same closet or in the attic so they'll be easy for everyone to retrieve when they are needed next.
- Buy items you really love when you see them advertised or they may not be available when you later. It's common for seasonal merchandise to change from year to year and also they are not stocked year-round typically. So, your item may no longer be available if you wait too long to decide you want it. Then stash your figurines, statues, wall hangings, and other holiday
decorations in your bags or boxes, sorted by holiday.
- Make or buy some snacks or treats to enjoy together at the completion of your decorating time.
Here are some favorite quick and easy decorating areas and tips:
1. The front door- Have a welcome sign that is theme oriented and you can easily change by season or by holiday. You can either hang up a completely new themed sign, or there are some that come with interchangeable pieces you swap in and out representing different holidays or themes.
2. The dining room table or a table that is centrally located but not used that often- Change the table runner or the tablecloth to a holiday themed one. Then showcase your holiday decorations by arranging a combination of your kid's holiday creations and your own figurines or other holiday decor on the table.
3. The mantel or entertainment center- Add a string of lights and if you wish, you can also vary the string of lights by color best suited for the coming holiday theme. Wall hangings can be changed around this area temporarily as well. Holiday accessories, flags, figurines, etc. are easy to rotate in and to view on or around this area of your home.
4. Special areas by kid's choice- Smaller children can help by adding little decorations to windows and glass doors. They enjoy taping up their creations or they can easily put up static cling decorations. Other areas small children enjoy decorating include outdoors, the dog house and their own rooms. Allow them to handle this aspect of decorating while you take pleasure in their big smiles and hugs!
Finally, make your decorating time even more enjoyable by having holiday background music or other favorite tunes playing in the background. Then, when you're done decorating, finish up with a big family hug and munching on tasty snack treats together!
Author Resource Box:
Liz Hekimian-Williams is founder of Giftsprings.com, a gifts and home decor online shop that features personalized gifts, custom engraved stones, holiday decor and special occasion gifts. Visit the gift shop at http://www.giftsprings.com
© 2003, 2004 Elizabeth Hekimian-Williams, Giftsprings
This article can be freely reprinted as long as the copyright notice and author resource byline with active link are included with the article.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Remembering What Makes The Holidays SpecialNPRNewbery Medal-winning author Kwame Alexander joins NPR's Rachel Martin to discuss poetry about the holidays, and to ask listeners for their help writing a poem about the season. Facebook; Twitter; Flipboard; Email. Get The Stories That Grabbed Us This ...
Truly Texas HolidaysTexas MonthlyWhile buying â€ślocalâ€ť is a good idea throughout the year, maybe especially at the holidays it can make the meals you share and the time you spend with family that much more special. For example, the Anheuser-Busch brewery in Houston has been crafting ...
The most outrageous private-jet requests for the holidaysPage Six'Tis the season for the ultrawealthy to fly private and make over-the-top holiday requests. Bob Seidel, CEO of private-jet company Alerion Aviation, tells us that one mother didn't want her daughter to be alone for the holidays, so â€śtwo years in a row ...
Celebrate the holidays with some free HitmanPC GamerOn the 15th day of Christmas, a bald assassin with a penchant for red ties dressed up as Santa and killed some bad dudes. From today until January 5, Hitman's Paris level and accompanying DLC will be free for everyone. And yes, that includes the ...and more »
Video: Avoiding 'senior isolation' during the holidaysWSAV-TV(SNN) â€” Holidays are a time of joy, family and friendsâ€¦for most of us. But for some seniors, holidays can be tough. â€śThey are possibly displaced from their background from where they were before they may be without their spouse or loved ones who have ...
Harvard Health (blog)
Navigating the holidays in recoveryHarvard Health (blog)If you are in recovery from a substance use disorder, be it drugs or alcohol, and the holidays do cause you emotional distress, it is critical to have plans and strategies in place for dealing with the realities of the holiday season, to minimize any ...
Downtown Portland is Your Home for the HolidaysWillamette WeekIf you still have holiday shopping to do, don't miss the PDX Pop-Up Shops in the Pioneer Square mall and the Standard Insurance Center building. Until Dec. 24, these temporary homes for local makers and designers showcase unique gifts you can't find at ...
The Fathers Day Celebration
Fathers Day is another reason to celebrate another responsible adult in the family. If some of our media sources would have it though, you would think that there are no real fathers around to celebrate on Fathers Day.
Top 25 Thanksgiving Quotations
"It is therefore recommended ..
Christmas Tree Topper Ornaments
From my childhood memories, pride of place on the top of Christmas tree always went to a fairy dressed in white. Or was it an angel? No, I'm sure it was the Christmas fairy; and she was usually last to go on the tree apart from the tinsel.
No More Ties! Homemade Fathers Day Gift Ideas
If you are like me, you never know what to get dad for Father's Day. Well, today, you'll get a few ideas that will get you out of a bind any time.
How to Make Your Own Printable Invitations for Any Occasion
Even with modern technology like email and cell phones, printed invitations have remained the most common way to let people know about your upcoming party and will continue to remain popular due to the timeless rules of party etiquette. Invitations can be a major cost, especially for large parties, like weddings and some baby showers.
Deecember is a cruel month. Christmas sales, decorations, advertisements -everyone seems so happy and cheerful - it's easy to feel alone.
Terrible at choosing gifts?
Need help with gifts? Not everyone is good at choosing them. But there's more to gift giving than getting gift ideas from someone else.
Experience Mothers Day In A Whole New Way
Mother's Day is the day when sons, daughters and husbands buy gifts and flowers to recognize the incredible work mom has done raising the children. But some moms are unknowingly cheating themselves out of the full experience of Mother's Day.
Create Warm Memories with Holiday Traditions
I remember just a handful of the Christmas presents I received as a child: My first Barbie doll with her skinny black sequined gown. My soft, pink Pat-a-Burp doll.
Important Chinese Festivals
Chinese New Year/Lunar New Year (January/February)It is usually in the winter of a year. The exact date would follow the one in Lunar Calendar.
SALOME and HERODIAS, A Curious Mothers Day Story, Part 2 of 2 Parts
First, a disclaimer:This article requires information about John the Baptist, whose life and works and words are holy, divinely inspired, to Christians. The sources I've accessed are religious, historical, literary, exegetic, and anecdotal.
Fathers Day and Flowers
Father's Day is about to be celebrated in Australia. The first Sunday in September.
Consider the Egg
The glorious egg, with its deep links to Creation mythology, is one of the oldest symbols of life and rebirth known to us. Many gods, demons and heroes have sprung from eggs.
Ideas For Toddler Halloween Costumes
Depending on the age of your little ones, you may want to keep ideas for toddler Halloween costumes on the simple side. Since most of the very youngest trick or treaters are only going out to amuse the grandparents and immediate neighbors, it needn't be terribly complicated to still bring a lot of smiles.
St. Patricks Day Quotations
"It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's rather that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody.
Greeting Card Tango: How To Impress, Not Stress, During The Holidays
When it comes to holiday greeting cards, to send or not to send is often the question. Once you have decided in the affirmative, you then have to determine who to include on your list, what kind of card to choose and how to address the envelope.
Preparing For the Holidays: Ho Ho Ho... or Bah Humbug!
Some of my clients dread the holiday season because it often represents stress, pressure, expectations, guilt, disappointment, pain, loneliness, exhaustion..
The Origin of the Christmas Tree
Have you ever wondered why we decorate a tree for Christmas? What sense does it make? We cut down a perfectly good tree, bring it in the house, decorate it with glass balls, twinkle lights, embarrassing arts and crafts from our youth and put a big star on top - why? No one knows for sure. But the Christmas tree does have a long, if not mythological, history.
The Perfect Birthday Present for that Little Girl (No Batteries Required)
The DilemmaAs a mom of a five-year-old girl, I have attended countless birthday parties in the past few years. With each event, comes the inevitable trip to the toy store to find an appropriate gift for the child of honor.
An Easy Gift For Many Occasions
It can be very hard to find that one perfect gift for someone. How many times have you pondered over what to buy for a 36th birthday or an 18th anniversary?Chances are, that you've been thinking way too hard!Go to any local retail store and start browsing.