How to Have the "Perfect" Christmas
"This year will be different. I vow I won't get stressed out over presents, parties, cards, Christmas plays, putting up the tree and decorating, and all the many other tasks of the season. I will remember the true meaning of Christmas."
Do you find that all the Christmas chores steal your joy?
"For unto us a child is born" - Aahh the miracle of birth. The true miracle of our Savior's birth. As Christian mothers we are doubly blessed to celebrate Christmas. We know the joy and pain of childbirth. We can imagine an exhausted Mary looking at her truly perfect, holy baby.
How can we recapture the joy and the simplicity of the first Christmas?
Following are some suggestions for making this the "Perfect" Christmas
1. Decide how you want your family to experience the true meaning of Christmas. Ex. Will you help another family with presents? Our family now has a tradition of doing Christmas boxes for Samaritan's Purse. Our children love picking out items for the box and praying for the child who receives their box.
2. Prioritize what is most important to you. Maybe you can't do it all. You may choose not to send Christmas cards, but do a New Years note.
3. Decide what parties you can and cannot attend. Sometimes as a family we may rarely be home in December. So much for family time.
4. If you have young children, remember how important, normal routine and sleep schedule are for younger children and you. Taking a cranky toddler shopping is not a good experience for anyone.
5. Decide what traditions you want for your own nuclear family. Sometimes we are so busy going to extended families' homes we don't get to start our own family traditions. Try to have a leisurely Christmas morning with children enjoying their toys before rushing off to anywhere.
6. Start a tradition of celebrating Jesus birthday. Ex. Happy Birthday Jesus cake, reading the Christmas story before opening presents, or children having their own child size Nativity set to play with and tell the Christmas story.
7. Set a limit on Christmas spending and stick to it. Don't celebrate Jesus' birth by being in debt in January.
8. Take time to pray and think about the most precious gift of all. Often our quiet times are the first to go when we get so busy. Using an advent calendar with children will also help them focus on the true meaning of Christmas.
9. Be kind to yourself. You may not be able to do everything like your Mom did. Perhaps you can make slice-and-bake cookies with your children instead of homemade cookie dough. Your children will remember the fun of decorating cookies, not who made the cookie dough.
10. Remember that you are not superwoman and you can't do it all. Sit down with your husband and decide who can do what on your list. Children can help put stamps on Christmas cards. Be kind to yourself and rest in our Savior's loving arms.
I don't know if you or I will have the "Perfect" Christmas, but we can make a conscious effort to focus on our Lord. Things will go wrong and we will get stressed, but we need to keep our eyes on Him. We need to show and teach our children that Christmas is not about Santa and receiving gifts. Christmas is about the ultimate gift that we can never repay.
So, I wish you a "Perfect" Christmas with Christ' birth as your focus, and that you would be kind to yourself. Set reasonable expectations for yourself and experience the true joy of Christmas.
© 2004 Kimberly Chastain
About the Author
Kimberly M. Chastain, MS, LMFT is the Christian Working Mom Coach and a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who specializes in helping Christian women make the most of their lives. She is the author of the on-line course, "I Can't Say No" and Pearls of Encouragement for Christian Working Moms, a free e-book. If you suffer from "I Can't Say 'No" Syndrome, visit Kimberly's site today for the details on an exciting email course that's sure to set you free! http://www.christianworkingmom.com/online.htm.The Text Information Box above MUST be included for reprint privileges. You may reprint this article in it's entirety with the attached text box.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Remembering What Makes The Holidays SpecialNPRNewbery Medal-winning author Kwame Alexander joins NPR's Rachel Martin to discuss poetry about the holidays, and to ask listeners for their help writing a poem about the season. Facebook; Twitter; Flipboard; Email. Get The Stories That Grabbed Us This ...
Truly Texas HolidaysTexas MonthlyWhile buying â€ślocalâ€ť is a good idea throughout the year, maybe especially at the holidays it can make the meals you share and the time you spend with family that much more special. For example, the Anheuser-Busch brewery in Houston has been crafting ...
How to decorate for the holidays on a budgetBoston.comSure, there are gifts to buy, stockings to stuff, and tinsel to string, but creating a hub of good cheer for your loved ones doesn't need to break the bank. Andrea Halliday, the owner of floral and event design business Table and Tulip in the South End ...
The most outrageous private-jet requests for the holidaysPage Six'Tis the season for the ultrawealthy to fly private and make over-the-top holiday requests. Bob Seidel, CEO of private-jet company Alerion Aviation, tells us that one mother didn't want her daughter to be alone for the holidays, so â€śtwo years in a row ...
Celebrate the holidays with some free HitmanPC GamerOn the 15th day of Christmas, a bald assassin with a penchant for red ties dressed up as Santa and killed some bad dudes. From today until January 5, Hitman's Paris level and accompanying DLC will be free for everyone. And yes, that includes the ...and more »
Video: Avoiding 'senior isolation' during the holidaysWSAV-TV(SNN) â€” Holidays are a time of joy, family and friendsâ€¦for most of us. But for some seniors, holidays can be tough. â€śThey are possibly displaced from their background from where they were before they may be without their spouse or loved ones who have ...
Harvard Health (blog)
Navigating the holidays in recoveryHarvard Health (blog)If you are in recovery from a substance use disorder, be it drugs or alcohol, and the holidays do cause you emotional distress, it is critical to have plans and strategies in place for dealing with the realities of the holiday season, to minimize any ...
Christmas Shopping Online Might Or Might Not Be For Everyone: This Article Shows How Doing It Onlin
Christmas shopping online is not for you? If you are one of those that share this thought, you probably like to enjoy the atmosphere of physical shopping. Doing your Christmas shopping online despite all its convenience, lack the festive mood.
The Christmas Dress
From the time I was a very little girl, I had always loved to watch my big sister, Loretta, when she was sewing. So, one Sunday afternoon while she worked on the red velveteen jumper that was going to be my Christmas outfit, I didn't want to miss a single thing.
SALOME and HERODIAS, A Curious Mothers Day Story, Part 1 of 2 Parts
First, a disclaimer:This article requires information about John the Baptist, whose life and works and words are holy, divinely inspired, to Christians. The sources I've accessed are religious, historical, literary, exegetic, and anecdotal.
Maybe This Christmas Will Be Different....
Have you always dreamed of a Norman Rockwell Christmas - where everyone is singing Christmas carols and there is joy in the house? Alas, your Christmas memories are often filled with Uncle Joe getting drunk and your parents ending up in a fight. By the end of Christmas day family members are mad and no one is talking to one another.
A Priceless Birthday Gift
Kelly was a very wealthy Hollywood actress, who was used to a posh lifestyle. She lived in a multimillion dollar home in Beverly Hills.
Taking Back Christmas
John Grisham wrote a book called SKIPPING CHRISTMAS. Amazon.
Can you believe that Thanksgiving is only a few weeks away? What does Thanksgiving mean to you? For many of us it means turkey, dressing, pies and all the other goodies that go along with it. It also means family.
Relaxing Holidays - Five Ways To Make Your Next Holiday Stress Free
For many people the end of a year is a time of increased stress. Instead of relaxing and unwinding from a busy year, the pressures of buying gifts, travelling or spending time with long lost relatives makes it a difficult time.
Find New And Exciting Halloween Masks For Your Next Costume Party!
For most people that don't enjoy wearing messy makeup, Halloween masks are the next best option to complement your Halloween costumes this Halloween season.There is a Halloween mask existing in all-imaginable characters, and this year some brand new products are available online.
Ill Be Home For Christmas
Direct Answers - Column for the week of November 29, 2004I have been married 25 years. We come from completely different backgrounds.
Creative Kid Birthday Cake Ideas
A Creative Dream Come TrueA hush falls over the room as you bring out your child's birthday cake.With its candles glowing, your cake masterpiece sits at its place of honor for all to admire as the room fills with the oohs and aahs of your envious party guests.
Choosing A Great Gift For A Polar Bear Lover
Do you know someone who is absolutely crazy about polar bears? Choosing a polar bear gift for a friend or loved one can be a lot of fun because there are so many choices out there, and luckily the price range is wide enough so that anyone can choose a great polar bear gift.Of course, sometimes having a lot of choices can be a problem, too.
A Christmas Tradition - Vintage Ornaments
Traditional hand-blown glass Christmas ornaments never seem to go out of style. There is something special about them: pulling them out year after year and smiling at the memories they bring back.
Going Solo on Valentines Day: Advice For Singles
The stores are decorated in candy hearts, flowers and bears. Every TV or radio commercial reminds you that it's time to remember your sweetheart on this special day for lovers.
Single During the Holidays
Mistletoe. Holiday parties.
How To Stay Slim During The Holiday Season
The majority of people find themselves carrying additional fat once the holidays are over. Worst of all, most of them never lose this extra weight.
Advantages of Online Greeting Cards Over Paper Cards - Part I
After some recent reports it seems that 90% of all people buy many greeting cards. Only the American people buy 7 billion greeting cards every year.
Reduce Waste This Christmas
- Christmas is responsible for more waste and consumption than any other holiday. North American's trash increases by 25% over Christmas - which equates to 25 million extra tons of garbage going to the landfill.
Ready to Skip This Holiday? Why No Just Make It Your Own?
Do you feel panicked, or exicted? Are you experiencing joy or depression? Do you have childlike visions of toys and celebration with the people you love? Or pressure, loneliness, alienation and annoying relatives?Sometimes we really can't help but ask "What is celebration? Do we really need it?"I can tell you there were times after my divorce and my daughter's death that I asked myself those questions. My kids had moved out.
A Valentines Day Story